"track record"

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Nov 18 22:49:10 UTC 2010

On Nov 18, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>
>> Nice treatment, and one that I'd forgotten, if I ever read.
>
> Nice use of the myriad of possibilities inherent in English syntax.

sly performance by Larry, who knows perfectly well that this is a classic island violation, with the WH "gap" inside a subordinate clause (in "if").  generally judgede to be unacceptablel, though comprehensible.

a situation that normally calls for saving via a resumptive pronoun ("if I ever read it") in the subordinate clause.

arnold