Singing in a dialect and "Authentic pronunciation" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 20 07:54:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Eric Nielsen <ericbarnak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to add Pat Boone's version of "Tutti Frutti" to your
> list--under worst, of course. To be fair, I've heard that he really didn't
> want to record the song but bowed to management pressure.
>
> Here's a great version of Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" by Russian singer
> Irina Surina--accompanied by guitar ace Tommy Emmanuel:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnn4Y_2Ss-I
>
> To hear her sing--oh so beautifully--in Russian:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7O47M5SgX0&feature=related
>
> I first heard her when she sang with the Russian Bluegrass band Kukuruza
> years ago. Her English accent is much improved since those days.

Interesting stuff! Thanks, Eric!

Uh, you know, I've always rather liked Pat Boone's 1957 recording of
"Love Letters In The Sand." In fact, I have it in my iTunes. But be
cool with that info, okay? You don't want to square me off.

--
-Wilson
–––

Once we recognize that we do not err out of laziness, stupidity,
or evil intent, we can uncumber ourselves of the impossible burden of
trying to be permanently right. We can take seriously the proposition
that we could be in error, without necessarily deeming ourselves
idiotic or unworthy.
–Kathryn Schulz