"baby daddy," "underwears," etc.

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 20 15:14:45 UTC 2010

Any time a term spreads from a regional or other restricted status into general vocabulary, it is worthy of discussion here, in my opinion. It is perhaps also possible that "baby mama" and "baby daddy," are new compounds for some people--not possessives but rather something on order of "baby diaper," in which case they could be considered as following general rules of compounding and have nothing to do with social or regional dialect. That, too, seems to me worthy of comment.

The other day, JL's posting concerning "underwears" might have been dismissed at first as trivial, given that virtually any mass noun can be treated as a compound (and is likely to be from time to time in uneducated speech, as JL well knows). A quick search of Google shows 408K hits for "underwears" and some of them do not appear to be typos or come from uneducated speakers (or just hits for underwear without the "s"--I think I was able to correct for that, at least partially), but seem to be a kind of slang expression or youthful buzz phrase. So it seems to me that even "underwears" is worthy of consideration here (though my first impulse was to dismiss it as mere "chatter").