freegan

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 22 00:12:22 UTC 2010

At 6:36 PM -0500 11/21/10, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>Not quite as imaginative as "locavore", but here's "freegan".
>
>http://freegan.info
>>The word freegan is compounded from "free" and "vegan". Vegans are
>>people who avoid products from animal sources or products tested on
>>animals in an effort to avoid harming animals. Freegans take this a
>>step further by recognizing that in a complex, industrial,
>>mass-production economy driven by profit, abuses of humans, animals,
>>and the earth abound at all levels of production (from acquisition to
>>raw materials to production to transportation) and in just about every
>>product we buy. Sweatshop labor, rainforest destruction, global
>>warming, displacement of indigenous communities, air and water
>>pollution, eradication of wildlife on farmland as "pests", the violent
>>overthrow of popularly elected governments to maintain puppet
>>dictators compliant to big business interests, open-pit strip mining,
>>oil drilling in environmentally sensitive areas, union busting, child
>>slavery, and payoffs to repressive regimes are just some of the many
>>impacts of the seemingly innocuous consumer products we consume every day.
>
>Not sure if it's going to stick around and it's certainly not WOTY
>material yet. The site has been around since 2008.
>
>VS-)

Maybe it's not ready for prime time yet, or maybe it already jumped
the shark (or the tofark), but it was definitely a contender on our
list at a meeting several years ago. I can't remember if it actually
won best in category.  (It certainly didn't win best in show.)  Ben
or someone else will have the details.  I always liked it because it
looks like a typo for "Fregean".

Larry