FW: Rap Lyrics (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Nov 22 16:41:59 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The articles I posted links to discuss ohhla.com.  There are numerous
transcription errors in _Anthology of Rap_, and in many cases, these
errors show up also at ohhla -- leading to the conclusion that the
book's editors used ohhla as a source.

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> The best place I have seen for transcriptions of rap lyrics is a
website
> http://www.ohhla.com . Fans, many of whom presumably speak the same
local
> slang, send in transcriptions and other fans can and do correct them.
> Eventually, they end up with pretty decent versions. The collection is
very
> comprehensive. A person can take these and check them against the
actual
> performed songs. When trying to use them to make a corpus, then, the
problem
> becomes more of a "how do I standardize the spellings of I'ma, Ima,
I'm a"

----
> ---
> >
> > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> > Caveats: NONE
> >

> > Interesting articles about the difficulty of transcribing Rap Lyrics
in
> > the new _Anthology of Rap_.
> >
> > http://www.slate.com/id/2272926/
> >

> > http://www.slate.com/id/2274223/
> >

> > NPR's "All Things Considered" interviewed one of editors, Adam
Bradley:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2010/11/12/131269570/why-the-errors-i
> > n-the-anthology-of-rap-

matter<http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2010/11/12/131269570/why-the-e