Most Notable Quotations of 2010 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 22 17:42:59 UTC 2010

At 12:37 PM -0500 11/22/10, Laurence Horn wrote:
>At 12:28 PM -0500 11/22/10, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>>I thought the quote was relevant because, whatever your position on
>>the concept of church and state, the phrase itself is not in the
>>Constitution or its Amendments, and many of the very intelligent
>>people discussing it, including those on this list, are unaware of
>>that fact.
>>
>>DanG
>
>I guess we could quibble about whether we're talking about "the
>separation of church and state", which I grant isn't in the
>Constitution or its Amendments, or the separation of church and
>state, which arguably is (given the first amendment, the barring of
>religious qualifications for office, etc.).

P.S.  "the separation of powers" isn't in the Constitution either--so
we can presumably then argue that the President has the authority to
rule by fiat (depending, of course, on the President)