Most Notable Quotations of 2010 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 22 22:52:44 UTC 2010

My impression, which may be mistaken, is that "Teabagger" was introduced
quite deliberately as a mocking designation.  The TEA party waved teabags at
rallies. IIRC.

I suspect that if TEA party people began to use it, many did so without
knowledge of the then somewhat obscure sexual allusion.

The fact is that knowingly calling TEA party people "teabaggers," unless
that designation has been generally accepted within the TEA party itself, is
even more crudely obnoxious than talking about "the Democrat Party."

If I constantly refer to someone as a "bastard" or a "bitch," I can't weasel
out of it by saying, "Well, we all know they're not literally these
things."

And it makes no difference if some people enjoy calling themselves
"bastards" or "bitches" (as we know they do). That's their business.

JL