cables

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 29 19:02:06 UTC 2010

I feel certain that CABLE has had the jargon meaning 'confidential international communications between government agencies' for a very long time. On the one hand, this is jargon. However, it is also fairly widely used by the press and others. One would expect an unabridged dictionary might show the distinction. I suspect this is one of the many cases in which nobody thought to update the dictionary entry in response to subtle shifts in technology (subreption).