document = 'to designate through legal or other official procedure; name officially'

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 29 21:12:30 UTC 2010

Not to dispute the definition, but perhaps the meaning is a bit
narrower, as in "listed in official/naming documents", e.g.,
incorporation documents. The sense is the same as "officially named",
I suppose, but not quite as general, but has an added benefit of being
a simple case of verbing. Or perhaps I just had too much caffeine
today...

I am sure there is a similar use for a person with false papers, as
in, "He was documented as Jerry Jones, but his real name was..."

VS-)