Antedating "the yips" OED 1963-->1943 :: Fwd: "yips" - Word of the Day from the OED

Fri Oct 1 08:56:02 UTC 2010

Thanks for posting about this interesting word-of-the-day, Victor.
Based on the great cites that you found I formulated a query and was
able to push the date back a bit further. In the 1938 newspaper
article below the professional golfer Tommy Armour is interviewed and
talks about "the yips":

Cite: 1938 July 15, The Hartford Courant, "The Sportlight" by
Grantland Rice, Page 16, Column 5, Hartford, Connecticut. (ProQuest)

"But, in this tournament, playing my finest golf up to the green, I
blew twenty-one putts under three feet. My nerves were in a snarl and
a tangle. They were blood-raw. I suffered agony all day long. But I
had the yips and I couldn't cure them. The yips start with an
explosion from the brain and then pour their cobra poison into the
nerves. I knew that every short putt I missed was costing me at least
$100, but I couldn't do anything about it."

Garson