destination = "website"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 2 13:59:22 UTC 2010

According to CNN yesterday, "CNN is teaming up with the nutrition
destination Eatocracy [to tell you what to eat]."

"Eatocracy" is a CNN blog site.

Just to save the semantically challenged some time and effort, this sense of
"destination" is new and different because it came in a context with
no reference to "visiting" or "going" in any way, shape, or form.  In fact,
the quote was the very first or second sentence of the introduction to the
segment. ("Segment" undoubtedly developed its now recognized TV sense in
much the same way.)  I had to use a dab of ingenuity to figure out WTH
"destination" meant.

(Note to Wilson: I grew up as an h-word expletiver [neologism alert] and
will stick with it. In white middle-class Manhattan in 1955 it did the job.)

JL