posthumously

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Oct 5 03:01:31 UTC 2010

Oh, wow, it's a right-node wrapping! It's a coordination of form

    A and B C D,

where A and B are coordinated on the surface, C is the "factor" (using
Pullum/Zwicky terminology) that applies to both A and B and seemingly brings
the coordinate structure to a close. But wait, there's more! The D goes with
only the B coordinate!

The canonical way for this to happen is for A to be a transitive verb and
B+D to be a phrasal transitive verb, or verb plus resultative phrase, and C
to be the factored-out direct object; for example, "Take and put this away"
(meaning "take this and put it away").

In this case:

    A = Baker
    B = six other black WWII veterans
    C = received medals
    D = posthumously

This is the first kind of RNW I've seen with coordinated subjects. For many
more examples, see
http://literalminded.wordpress.com/category/syntax/coordination/right-node-wrapping-friends-in-low-places-coordinations/

Neal