Singing in a dialect and "Authentic pronunciation" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Oct 5 14:33:16 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> IMHO, if singers lose accents in songs, and I think they do, then it
points
> toward the great amount of tonality in accents that we are not aware
of,
> because the singing takes the tonality out from native speech and
overrides it
> with the notes of the song.

Isn't this [singing takes the tonality . . .]  only one of many possible
explanations for why singers may lose accents in songs?  For example,
Mel Tillis stutters while he speaks, but sings without stutter.  I doubt
the tonality has anything to do with this.  But whatever process makes
him not stutter while singing may also make accented singers sing more
neutrally.