Antedating "the yips" OED 1963-->1943 :: Fwd: "yips" - Word of the Day from the OED (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Oct 5 15:30:52 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Barrie Payne, "Barks and Bites at Hole Nineteen" _The American Golfer_
Sept 1933, Vol. 36, Iss. 12 p 30 col 3
" ""-always yips, 'bad luck' when he takes a seven, but you'll notice he
never yells, 'good luck' after a birdie." "
[Not clear if "yips" is noun, as most of the cites in this thread are,
or verb "to yelp, holler".  Probably the latter.]

Grantland Rice, "Putting Poison" _The American Golfer_ Mar 1935, Vol.
38, Iss. 6 p 20 col 1
" It brings on a case of the jitters or the yips that has given its
deadly poison to such golfers as Harry Vardon, George Duncan, Bobby
Jones, Walter Hagen and several others I might mention. "

------