"Authentic pronunciation" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 5 21:49:48 UTC 2010

For a number of years, the preferred media pronunciation on both Fox and CNN
seems to have been "Ont."

One of those things I notice. I can't even tell you the last time I heard
one of a leading telejournalists say "ant."

As it was explained to me by a know-it-all some thirty-five years ago, "Ant"
is "insulting because an ant is an insect and an Ont isn't."

I couldn't argue with that logic. (Actually I could have but didn't want
to be bothered.)

JL