"Pride feels no cold"

Wed Oct 6 00:56:29 UTC 2010

Thanks to Joel for pointing out this interesting proverb. "Pride feels
no cold" might be classed together with 'Pride feels no pain" which is
listed in the online Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs (2009 editor
Jennifer Speake). Here are the first three citations. The 1614 cite
suggests the mechanism by which the variant might have been
constructed:

Pride feels no pain

1614 T. Adams Devil's Banquet II. 73 Pride is neuer without her own
paine, though shee will not feele it: be her garments what they will,
yet she will neuer be too hot, nor too colde.

1631 Jonson New Inn II. i. Thou must make shift with it. Pride feeles
no pain. Girt thee hard, Pru.

1721 J. Kelly Scottish Proverbs 277 Pride finds no cold. Spoken..to
Beaus [fops] with their open Breasts, and Ladies with their
extravagant Hoops [hooped skirts].

I do not think that the Yale Book of Quotations contains this proverb.
It did not appear in a search using the term "pride".

The fun variant "Pride feels no Frost" appears in 1732 in a volume in
Google Books.

Gnomologia: Adagies and Proverbs:
http://books.google.com/books?id=3y8JAAAAQAAJ&q=pride+feels#v=snippet&

Garson