antedating boondock (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 6 15:56:54 UTC 2010

Wow!

Also of interest (antedating HDAS by a few years - though its primary
citation refers to 1953/54):

1954 _Bakerfield Californian_ (March 3) 8: Reminders of Grim Battle Remain
on Peaceful Saipan....The jungle - everyone here calls it the boonies - has
taken over....On the broad road to old Garapan the boonies have taken over
both sides of the road.

The article notes that as of 1954 the U.S. maintained a 106-man force on the
island.

JL