How the OED pronounces "lot" and "cloth"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 6 20:57:56 UTC 2010

Do you mean RP speakers pronounce "cloth" like "cot" -- klahth? Or
that they pronounce "lot" like "moth" -- lawt?  Both are odd to my
(American) ear.  I would receive them as pretentious -- but perhaps
that's what RP stands for.  :-)

In the OED both are 2nd edition (1989) entries, so (as I interpret
the pronunciation key description) they show only British
pronunciation; and the vowels are identical.

Joel