ont/ahnt

Wed Oct 6 22:37:22 UTC 2010

"CON"/"KAHN" would work as [kDn]/[kAn] in the Pittsburgh area, I think, and neither would rhyme with "town", which would be [tan].  I just checked with two colleagues of mine, one from Canonsburg, PA, the other from Fairmont, WV, and they had different vowels in father and bother (a near-minimal pair) as [A] vs. [D] (rounded low vowel).  The latter is LOT/THOUGHT for them.  The former is, in Wells's terminology, PALM.

Paul Johnston