Dons Quixote and Juan (was: Chile)

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri Oct 8 09:13:34 UTC 2010

I believe the traditional BrE pronunciation of 'Quixote' was /'kwIks at t/. I
was certainly taught that by one traditionalist teacher in the mid-80's
(who then was probably in his mid-30s). As has been implied, though, you
don't hear it much if ever any more, even here.

Byron's poem _Don Juan_ is indeed pronounced /Ju at n/ (ie with an initial
affricate and English vowels), as far as Wikipedia knows, though of course
that should be verified. I am not a scholar of English. I do know, though,
that in Molière's play _Dom Juan_ the character's name is pronounced _à la
française_, /Zya~/.

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK