Anglicization

Salikoko Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 8 19:49:55 UTC 2010

  On 10/8/2010 10:44 AM, Paul Frank wrote:
> This (in my opinion silly) habit of pronouncing foreign names the
> foreign or pseudo-foreign way when speaking English only works with
> languages with which English speakers are familiar or vaguely
> familiar.
SSM: I am shocked by the parenthetical. How else can one pronounce
foreign names, by anglicizing them?

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on Conceptual&  Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mufwene