the magoffin?

Sat Oct 9 05:20:10 UTC 2010

Many thanks to Jon for pointing out the word McGuffin, and the OED
editors for finding the remarkable 1939 document.

I think that a theory put forward in 1945 is intriguing. "McGuffin"
may have been derived from "mongoose".

There is a tale about a package containing an imaginary mongoose, and
this tale may have been modified to yield the Hitchcockian version
with the term McGuffin substituted for mongoose. I will try to post
about this soon when I have some more time.

Garson