Dons Quixote and Juan (was: Chile)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 10 02:57:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have never heard an American speaker of English say "Kwiksott", except
> when referring to how British speakers supposedly pronounce "Quixote".

Neither have I, in fact. Nevertheless, I once somehow acquired the
impression while still in childhood that _Quixote_ was pronounced
"KWIK-sote."

WAG1. I saw it written in The Book of Knowledge: the children's
encyclopedia and went with the "obvious" pronunciation.
WAG2. There was once an otherwise-lost "funnybook" featuring the hero,
John Quixote, and I went with the "obvious" pronunciation.

--
-Wilson
–––