The yips--again

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 11 04:09:20 UTC 2010

At 9:27 PM -0600 10/10/10, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>  http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_16305937
>San Jose Mercury News. Posted 10/10/10 7:54 PM PDT
>Braves' Brooks Conrad: 'I feel absolutely terrible right now'
>>His locker surrounded by media members in the somber Atlanta Braves
>>clubhouse, Brooks Conrad patiently answered the same basic question
>>over and over.
>>
>>But there was nothing that the beleaguered second baseman could say
>>that offered any real explanation for his costly case of the yips.
>
>No, it's not just for golf any more... ;-)

Funny, I saw those miscues, but they (in particular that last killer
ground-ball-through-the-wickets, which I suppose is an allusion to
croquet or cricket) didn't strike me as involving the yips, which I
thought only applied to those errant throws/tosses we were
discussing.  Conrad managed to drop a popup, and misplay two ground
balls; no throws involved.  And he also popped up a sacrifice bunt.
Poor guy is a journeyman playing only because of  season-ending
injuries to two teammates.  And now he's an immortal of sorts, yips
or not.  Well, he can get his revenge in the next game(s).

LH