"Stop digging."

Mon Oct 11 13:07:03 UTC 2010

Thanks for the additional background Jon. YBQ contains a citation for
the phrase "Don't make waves" in the Washington Post on January 6,
1941. It also says that the scatological joke is attested as early as
1925 and the saying might be derived from the joke.

Here is a version of "don't make waves" in 1939 that might considered
intermediate between the joke and the unadorned saying, or it might be
independent of the joke.

1939 February 2, Palm Beach Daily News, Senator's Demand Showdown On
President's Secret Deals With France and England, Page 1, Column 2,
Palm Beach, Florida. (Google News Archive)

Here's a little thing we learned that the boys over there might use.
When you're in trouble up to your neck don't make waves.