"sort've"

Michael Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Tue Oct 12 22:06:15 UTC 2010

in a transcription of an interview by brian gaar (interviewing comedian marc maron)
http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/comedy/entries/2010/10/11/marc_maron.html

maron:

"we were able to rebuild our friendship that had become sort’ve strained and you can sort’ve hear that."

interesting orthographic reversal of the usual switch: have > of

it's been mentioned in the ever responsive (and equally imprecise) urban dictionary:

"it's the new would of! Serves to demonstrate that "have" and "of" are now completely interchangeable"

bit of an overstatement.

michael