"apology" -- stretched again

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Oct 13 20:44:48 UTC 2010

On Oct 13, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> "apology" = "I concede I said it poorly (but I still mean it)".
>
> I'm sure previously observed, but ... from the NYTimes, today:
>
> "Paladino Apologizes for Remarks About Gays" [headline].
>
> "In his letter, Mr. Paladino did not back down from the content of
> his remarks on homosexuality, though he acknowledged that he 'should
> have chosen better words'."
>
> The paper Times did not publish the text of Paladino's 400-word
> statement, so I cannot tell if he, as well as the Times, used
> "apology" to characterize what he said.

the best part was his saying he was a "live and let live" person. meaning that the law and society allows you to do whatever you want -- except you're a dirty, evil, immoral, sick person ("objectively dysfunctional", as his church would have it) for *thinking* about it, much less doing it (and that's just his personal opinion, mind you, like no institutional backup behind it).

yes, i've been in a state of rage recently. total consuming weeping rage. unhinged by suicidal teenagers (but for luck that would have been me; and despite years of my counseling lgbt students).

i'm going to go away now. you don't want to be around me. i'm not a nice person right now.

arnold