"casualty"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 14 15:37:52 UTC 2010

...and in the non-military sense, there is also the complement-taking
"casualty (of)", as in "Jones was a casualty of the economic downturn
(the recession-linked cutbacks, etc.).  Usually refers to layoff
victims rather than deaths.  Such victims can be described as
casualties too, but (I think) only elliptically.

LH