"casualty"

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Oct 14 17:03:16 UTC 2010

In the DOD casualty reports available here, casualties appear to be
synonymous with fatalities:

http://search.dma.mil/search?&filter=0&q=casualties&site=DEFENSE_gov&entqr=0&sort=date:D:L:d1&output=xml_no_dtd&client=DEFENSE_frontend&ud=1&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=DEFENSE_frontend

But casualties still means "deaths and injuries" to many. See for instance:

"The human cost of the armed conflict in Afghanistan is escalating in
2010. In the first six months of the year civilian casualties –
including deaths and injuries of civilians increased by 31 per cent
over the same period in 2009."
<http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/db900SID/SKEA-887GWN?OpenDocument&Click=>

In the ICRC (where my wife works) casualty means "death and/or injury."

Paul

Paul Frank
Translator
German, French, Italian > English