Marine; soldier = 'naval seaman'; his-story = 'history focused on men'; etc.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 16 01:58:03 UTC 2010

It is quite clear from the novel that, except for a handful of clearly
identiied Marines, the military personnel are naval.

Since it isn't linguistic, I didn't bother to mention it before, but neither
the editors nor the writer were aware that Michener's island of "Kuralei,"
the objective of "Operation Alligator," which unifies the tales, is entirely
fictional. The writer assumes that it's real.

Of course, it may not matter, since part of the point is that, while
"[h]istorical narratives considered to be authentic are esteemed, . . .
fictional narratives are censored [sic] as being a concoction of the
imagination."   "Fiction," moreover, "is perhaps the most effective tool
with which the past can be reviewed and reevaluated."  "The most effective
tool"?  I'd think that historical research would be far more effective.

The writer/editors should also have known that the American presence on
Guadalcanal, Tulagi, and many of the other islands mentioned was not the
result of American "colonizing."  (Unless, as is perfectly possible, the
word meant was "occupation.")  The Japanese were already occupying
these islands and treating the locals pretty poorly according to my
information.

Why _Negro_ is repeatedly in scare quotes I can only guess.  That is indeed
the word Michener uses - the same as most polite people of every race in the
1940s.

I charitably assume that having Michener writing the book while on duty in
the South Pacific in "1947" is simply a misprint for "1942."  But that would
be another blunder, since Michener didn't arrive till 1944. By 1947,
(as copy editors used to know) the war was quite over.

JL