Marine [and] his-story; rape; "Negro"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 17 12:29:35 UTC 2010

I have to believe you, George, but,  regrettably, you're stuck in
yesterday's interpretation of reading and writing.

In the old paradigm, the wily, masterful writer "seduces" and "works his
will" on the mesmerized but essentially unwilling reader.

In the exciting, empowering model of today, the violent, aggressive reader
brutalizes the words, "interrogates" them till they yield the "meaning" he
or she wants. The writer, of course, merely a propagandist for the language
that speaks him, has already been disposed of.

Wake up, man!  This is reading and writing we're talking about, not some
sick fantasy!

JL