Hitchcock's McGuffin story possibly derived from a story about an imaginary mongoose

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Oct 18 13:34:59 UTC 2010

The following use of M'Guffin and McGuffin may be irrelevant--so a McGuffin?-- but in case no/yes:
"Rienzi M'Guffin's Plot,"  Tid-Bits: An Illustrated Weekly For These Times [New York] v. 2 March 5, 1887, though listed as Time [London] [n.s.] vol. 6 (1887) p. 3. McGuffin erases the record of his Nov. birthdate, to replace it with Christmas, in order to save money on presents. Available at Hathi Trust:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?seq=25&num=16&view=image&id=mdp.39015022671377&q1=%22rienzi+mcguffin%22&size=175

Stephen
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Stephen Goranson [goranson at DUKE.EDU]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 4:44 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Hitchcock's McGuffin story possibly derived from a              story              about an imaginary mongoose

Interesting. Thanks. FWIW, the same sentence--I forget who was the creator of "McGuffin," but a "McGuffin" is a gift that is not to be opened until Christmas--appears in Robert Haven Schauffler, "Some Words We Need," The Century Magazine, vol. 109 no. 5, March 1925 [the vol. is 1924-1925; GB no preview gives the 1924 date] 671-8 here 677, confirmed on paper.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson