sock poet

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 18 23:46:22 UTC 2010

I have a PhD in English but have no idea what this means. The quotation
appears on the back cover of  Mark W. Van Wienen's _Rendezvous with Death:
American Poems of the Great War_ (Champaign: U. of Illinois Press, 2002):

"Alight with sorrow, grace, silliness, satire, pride, and anger, works by
IWW members, sock poets, pacifists, and protestors take their places next to
those by Edith Wharton, Alan Seeger, Wallace Stevens, James Weldon Johnson,
Amy Lowell, and Claude McKay."

A weird misprint?  I don't have immediate access to the book, but next
time I'm in the libe I'll have to "check it out."

JL