"We are the standard barriers"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 19 14:19:25 UTC 2010

Not an eggcorn perhaps as a reconfiguration for "standard bearers",
but in any case I thought worth noting.  This was the
self-description of the NFL Vice President and  competition committee
member Ray Anderson, interviewed on ESPN radio this morning, for the
role of his group in enforcing the rules against "egregious" hits
leading to concussions and other severe injuries:

"We are the standard barriers"

The reanalysis does make a sort of sense here, Anderson sees his
group as both upholding the proper standards and serving as barriers
against such injuries, but some of the relevant written hits I could
find on google don't allow this reconstruction, since it's not clear
what the barriers are serving fend off:

==================
"The students that are here tonight are the standard barriers for
other students to look up to, and your parents should be proud of
your hard work and their commitment to your success..."
[Rep. Zach Wamp of Tennessee]

Christ is neither conservative nor liberal. He is Preeminent. God
said "I am that which I am". He is defined only by Himself. The
rightness or wrongness of conservatism or liberalism is determined by
the degree they conform to Christ. We must engage in the political
process to bring the biblical prespective into the light, but beware
not to trust in the parties' standard barriers for much.

The Temptations, The Four Tops, Ojays, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, Dru Hill,
AzYet and Day 26 are the standard barriers for grat groups!

I'm using SportsCenter as a standard barrier for what the public is
interested in

Dr. King was a "revolutionary Christian," in many ways a standard
barrier for carrying on and enhancing the platform of "Liberation
Theology."

or this, from an official U. C. Santa Barbara site:

Swimming at UCSB is a standard barrier for all our programs. Our
amazing men and women simply win championships for themselves and
their school.