gripe

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 19 16:11:19 UTC 2010

_Pissed off_ is presumably the original, but it and the synonomous _pissed_
appear at almost the same time in the historical record.

Same goes for the verb, though the two-parter looks like the original to me.

And don't forget to _piss and moan_, 'whine.'  Another idiom first recorded
in connection with WWII.

My SWAG is that it originally alluded to infection by a certain STD.

JL