Still More Bad Girl Talk

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 20 06:43:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: Still More Bad Girl Talk
>
> And more. Unfortunately there may be only one more episode this season.
>
> "My gaydar is up, and it's never wrong, and _you're_ a lesbian!" Â (Said by a
> lesbian.)
>
> "The realest girls in this house are me and Erica." Â (Extremely common for
> decades, but hard to place in the OED schema. Cf. 11a  "Sincere,
> straightforward, honest. Obs." but with nothing since 1705. Â My def., for
> what it's worth, might be "(Of persons) free of pretension or affectation
> and candidly sincere in social relationships." Â That's very close to 11c
> "Free from nonsense, affectation, or pretence; genuine. Also more generally:
> aware of, or in touch with, real life; down-to-earth," but I sense a
> difference, if only because the word - again as applied to persons - has
> been so common since the '60s. Â However, if you ask "So what?" Â I'm not sure
> I have a good comeback.)
>
> "We're obviously the top dogs. Don't breathe my air. Don't be anywhere near
> me." Â (Many thousands of RGs for "Don't breathe my air!" perhaps no earlier
> than 2005.)
>
> "Christina's stupid ass was just swingin' at Leah's balls!" ("Ass" and
> "balls" are merely emphatic forms; see HDAS. Christina tried repeatedly to
> strike Leah. Said by lesbian.)
>
> "I have a *huge* set of balls." (A store of self-assurance. Said by
> lesbian.)
>
> "I'm excited, dog!" (Female to female; HDAS stupidly restricts this use of
> "dog" to masculine address.)
>
> When the Bad Girls aren't going out to night clubs to get laid, or, on
> occasion, laying each other, they worry a good deal about who's "weak" (see
> last installment) and who's "mentally strong." Â Each seems to think she's
> "mentally strong," but the others usually think she's "weak." The
> "strong" torment and try to drive out the "weak." It usually works. In
> general outline, the show is probably as scripted as any WWE match, but I
> like to think individual affect and presentations of self are genuine.
>
> JL

Jon, you're only one step removed - Jersey Shore - From The Jerry Springer Show.

A word to the wise.

In my case, it was the now-defunct Jenny Jones Show that was my first
bite of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
--
-Wilson
–––