passive "kowtowed" for "cowed"

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Oct 21 17:55:11 UTC 2010

And speaking of kowtowing, here's a trivium: having just looked up the
Chinese word ketou (ç£•é ­), from which we get the English word kowtow, I
see that it's a surprisingly recent coinage. The first citation in the
monumental Hanyu Dacidian (漢語大詞典, Comprehensive Chinese Word
Dictionary) is by the scholar official Hong Mai (1123-1202). But come
to think of it, it's perhaps not all that surprising, because it was
in the Song dynasty that the tradition of open discussion at court,
and the Confucian precept that forthright criticism is the highest
kind of loyalty, began to make way to a more absolutist style of
imperial rule. Scholar officials sat with the emperor and discussed
matters of state during the Tang dynasty (618–907), they stood erect
in front of the seated emperor during the Song (960-1279), and they
prostrated themselves before him and called themselves "your Majesty's
humble slave" during the Ming (1368-1644).

Off-topically,
Paul

Paul Frank
Translator
Chinese, German, French, Italian > English
Espace de l'Europe 16
Neuchâtel, Switzerland
paulfrank at bfs.admin.ch
paulfrank at post.harvard.edu