well-traveled snowclone

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Oct 21 18:58:15 UTC 2010

And this, a little earlier:

1900  S. B. Rossiter, “A Message to the Auxiliaries of the McAll Association of America,” _American McAll Record_ 18, no. 1 (Feb.) 7 (in a quoted letter from the author, said to have been written the previous Dec.): “What is crisis?  One of two things.  Opportunity or defeat.  Can God suffer defeat?  No.  Then crisis is opportunity.”

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Charles C Doyle [cdoyle at UGA.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:04 PM-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from the matter of the pictograph, in the Modern Proverbs files we have this for the English proverb "A crisis is an opportunity" (it might be noteworthy that the saying occurs in a "missionary" magazine):

1904  C. P. Middleton, “The Present Crisis,” _Women’s Missionary Magazine_ (of the United Free Church of Scotland) 37: 286:  “A crisis is an opportunity; and our chief concern should be lest [sic] we should fail to use this opportunity aright.”

--Charlie