"thunder-stone" = "thunderbolt" in the 18th century

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 22 21:05:07 UTC 2010

At 10/22/2010 01:12 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I'd have thought that "thunderstone" applied more specifically - though not
>necessarily exclusively - to meteorites or presumed meteorites.  Their
>existence was roundly doubted and denied in the 18th C.

The OED thinks not exclusively, but less archaically, to meteorites:

   1. = THUNDERBOLT 1. arch., with 5 quotations from 1598 through 1888;

   2. Applied to various stones, fossils, etc. formerly identified
with 'thunderbolts', as celts, belemnites, masses of pyrites,
meteorites: = THUNDERBOLT 3, with 7 quotations through perhaps the
last examination in 1907.

Hawthorne wrote of the mid-1700s:  "By the number of such accidents
on record, we might suppose that the thunder-stone, as they termed
it, fell oftener and deadlier on steeples, dwellings, and unsheltered
wretches."  He surely is equating "thunder-stone" to lightning, not
to meteorites (which fall to earth rarely) or other types of stones.

My first citation below is sense 1, I believe, with its association
with lightning.  My second appears to deny any such
association.  There seems to have been confusion in the 18th century
-- were thunderstones something that fell as a result of thunder and
lightning, or part of the lightning itself?

Who knew?  (Besides Ben and some forgotten Frenchmen.)
Joel