further to = "in addition to; besides" ?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 23 14:09:42 UTC 2010

I've never noticed this before, and I don't find it in OED. The writer
refers to the outbreak of war in 1914:

1996 Lloyd Clark in Ian Stewart & Susan L. Carruthers, eds. _War, Culture
and the Media_ (Madison, N.J.: Fairleigh Dickinson U. P.) 40: "War was seen
by various groups as the way of achieving different things. Further to the
defeat of Germany and its allies, poets believed that war was an opportunity
for personal fulfillment.

Prof. Clark is a prominent British military historian.

JL