mixing metaphors

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Oct 23 14:49:16 UTC 2010

I don't see "dodging a silver bullet" as a mixed metaphor.  A bullet
of precious metal has extraordinary powers to kill, particularly
mythological nemeses (enemies, rivals).  The deal came off, it was
"gargantuan" with many pitfalls, and if it hadn't been successful
there would have been severe, perhaps fatal, consequences to "we".

For the necessity for a bullet of precious metal, see "Wallace and
Grommit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit".  The Reverend (Mr. or Dr.?)
Clement Hedges gives Lord Victor Quartermaine 24-carrot gold bullets,
the only weapon that will stop the depredations of the Were-Rabbit.

Joel