another "Negro" in quotes

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 24 07:06:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> the word "Negro" was used in some 1960s reference to Dudley High

It would have been unnecessary for the locals to bother to specify the
make-up of the student body of a local public school in a small,
Southern city in 1960. Everyone would have known what it was without
having to ask. Even if they had bothered, they most likely would have
used "colored" to refer to colored/Negro/black/African-American
institutions. Of course, Northern newspapers and their journalists had
been using "Negro" at least Since The War.

Little-known fact: back in the day, Southern - well, farther behind
the Cotton Curtain than Saint Louis, IAC - telephone books placed a
"c" after the names of people who had telephones and were also
colored. That always struck me as overkill, somehow.

--
-Wilson
–––