Hitchcock's McGuffin story possibly derived from a story about an imaginary mongoose

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 27 15:26:16 UTC 2010

It leads me to wonder if Schauffler had heard the mongoose/apparatus story
with, perhaps, the added detail that the mongoose/apparatus was a Christmas
gift for someone. An interlocutor might then have said something like, "What
sort of a McGuffin is it?"

Worthless conjecture, but it would be nice to account for this 1925 McGuffin
as something more than complete coincidence.

JL