service revolver == sidearm/service weapon

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 28 11:22:50 UTC 2010

For many years my worthless impression has been that "revolver" is often
used when "pistol" is correct.

OED has "service revolver" from Hemingway in 1926. Presumably he meant an
actual revolver.

JL