Hitchcock's McGuffin story possibly derived from a story about an imaginary mongoose

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 28 11:29:15 UTC 2010

Victor is absolutely right.  In my childhood (Holy crap! It was closer to
1925 than to today!) gifts frequently made their appearance days or even a
couple of weeks before Christmas Day and were routinely tagged "Do Not Open
Before Xmas!" The reason was that they were in addition to the gifts that
Santa would bring, which you couldn't possibly open before, say, 12:05 am in
the Day itself, because they hadn't arrived yet.

JL