lardcore

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 29 14:34:25 UTC 2010

At 2:44 AM -0400 10/29/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Ben Zimmer
><bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
>>  collards
>
>Why is it always the case that only collard greens are mentioned? What
>about mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, beet greens,
>spinach? The latter are all delicious, whether merely drizzled with
>hot bacon grease or fully cooked.
>
>Or maybe eating those greens is peculiar to East Texas.

Not at all, although there is a regional component.  They're all
(well, at least in season, which appears to be briefer for dandelion
greens) readily available in places like Connecticut.  I'm not sure I
find this an entirely homogeneous grouping, though.  Spinach and beet
and mustard greens are fine in salads or just wilted, while
collard/turnip greens profit from what I think of as the southern
approach with extended cooking and (I would submit) tabasco or the
like.  Healthy, too!  (Well, maybe not so much with enough bacon
grease.)  I used to think mustard greens were a Chinese delicacy, and
they grow wild (and yummily) on Cape Cod.

LH