fling poo

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 31 03:52:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> OED has _poo_ only from 1960 (under _pooh_ for some reason), but this was
> our usual childhood term. My grandmother used it exclusively. Â In fact, my
> second-grade class was part delighted, part repelled by the very concept of
> "Winnie the Pooh." Â And the "House at Pooh Corner'! Â Wow!

Except in the ladylike expression of disappointment, etc. "Oh, poo!"
that I know only from literature, _poo_ is fairly new to me. I'm much
more accustomed to _poop_ as a child-y term. The bit of military
jargon, "_poop_ for the troops" required an agonizing reappraisal,
since I seemed to be alone in seeing anything ridiculous about the
phrase.

--
-Wilson
–––