A new (to me, IAC) spelling rule

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 1 12:13:48 UTC 2010

The prescription at least creates a pleasant consistency in any particular
journal or work. If that was the originator's idea, it's pretty nifty.

Otherwise, it's fairly pointless and annoying, not "compelling."  Anybody
reading an entomological or dendrological journal in the first place already
knows what's a true "X" and what isn't, or will soon find out.

But I do fancy the idea that we can learn the true nature of things by
checking their orthography. (Note to self:  apply for research funds today.)

The trend for half a century or more has been strongly toward writing short
binomial nouns - trees, insects, or otherwise - as one-word compounds.

JL