shit! (coarse exclamation of annoyance or disgust)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 4 22:29:34 UTC 2010

Wow!

Of course, only a lexicographer would say that. All others would
yawn. Didn't the Venerable Bede say that in informal moments?

They certainly say similar things in _Beowulf and Grendel_ (2005).
Concerning Grendel, Hrothgar laments, "He's a fucking troll! How do I know
why a fucking troll does what a fucking troll does?"

JL