mental health

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 5 13:49:43 UTC 2010

At 12:37 AM -0400 9/5/10, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>  Very minor point:
>
>Mental healthy vs. mentally healthy?
>
>http://bit.ly/bk0s6C
>>But he was also influential because his theory told many of the
>>cultural elites of the era that they were objectively more mental
>>healthy and more psychologically developed than were their opponents.
>
>http://bit.ly/cDuaqZ
>>Mentally healthy persons are in the process of actualizing their
>>potential.
>
>vs.
>
>http://bit.ly/cQKYnZ
>>However, the National Mental Health Association cites 10
>>characteristics of people who are mentally healthy.
>
>http://bit.ly/92g4PN
>>In my opinion, mentally healthy people will show the following
>>characteristics at least 95% of the time...
>
>Just on sheer numbers it's 35 thousand vs. 4.5 million (raw). But, to be
>honest, I don't even see how there could be 35 thousand. (Many are
>spurious.)

And the second one above looks like a spurious one, but you've
corrected it from "Mental healthy persons...")  The same site also
does have "some are mentally healthier than others" .  I suppose
those who are responsible for all those other hits are treating
"mental health" as a unit, whence [mental health]-y.  I note that
there are also quite a number of hits for "physical healthy",
including an interesting conjoined case: "Parents want their children
to be mentally and physical healthy."  There are even a few for
"physical heathy", as I inadvertently first entered the search,   the
first of which is this helpful reminder from christianchat.com in
response to a perennial question:

"It may be physical heathy but so would stelling something from a
store, but it is spiritualy deadly. Masterbation is like smoking and
drugs."

Youneverknow.

LH